Sunday, May 16, 2010

UPDATED: Spring Semester over, status update

Finally done with finals. Pretty brutal, but at the same time I feel I actually did alright all things considered. All through dead week I was staying up until 4-6AM and waking up at 2PM trying to get as much studying done as I possibly could, but with little success. As an English major I do a surprisingly little amount of of the reading I'm supposed to so I was trying to catch up on nearly a whole semester's worth of readings. I failed. But, on the day of the final I was surprised I was able to answer many of the questions and essay topics with relatively solid responses. I guess going to class without doing readings is worthwhile after all.

Even though I'm done with Spring semester I'm not certain I'll be able to post here with much more frequency than normal. I'll be starting my Summer sessions in about a week. Considering I took a break from school last year I'm trying to catch up as much as possible, hopefully graduating in the Fall. The blog still isn't what I always wanted this place to be but I still hold hope for it.

I missed last week's Sunday Update due to studying and finals so I'll group it with this week's Sunday Update. As for the Elm Street review marathon I had planned, I'll be finally watching the remake this week and soon after that I'll begin review the series one by one. I'm also working on an article about the presentation of art, the appropriate ways to experience/take in art and I hope to get that out by the end of this week.

On another note, I mentioned in the beginning of May that Star Wars day was May 4th, but I failed to mention that May is also the official Zombie Awareness Month. May should be a month-long celebration of all things zombie, so I hope you take the time to watch zombie movies, read zombie books and comics, and ponder on the social commentaries and other symbolisms the zombie carries with them. My personal favorite zombie movie is the original 1968 Night of the Living Dead by George Romero. It really is a cinematic masterpiece. I can't think of anything wrong with the film. It accomplishes true scares on a much more mature level than zombie movies of today while also being incredibly effective in delivering its message. I also love Shaun of the Dead. It's not so much a parody as it is a comedic homage and endearing love note to zombie movies of the past. Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg are real geniuses. The comedy is incredibly deep and has a lot of replay value. If books are your thing check out The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. It's extremely entertaining. It's takes its subject material entirely seriously, making it also that much funnier. The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman is something every self-proclaimed zombie fan should read too. I can't say enough about it. I'll write a review for it at a later date.

So yeah, that's all for now. I'll post the Sunday Update later tonight if I get a chance. Also, look forward to the Elm Street review marathon, a review of The Walking Dead, and my piece on the presentation of art.

kthxbai

**********************************************************************************
UPDATE: btw, I've added Pages to my blog, which you can see below the Header. I now have a page about me titled, surprise, About Me. This'll provide me with more room than the tiny column to the right to share details about myself. I've also added a On the Horizon page so you guys can get a heads up on future articles and whatnot that I've planned for the blog, which will get updated every time I add an article to the front page.

No comments:

Post a Comment